Jen’s Tofu Chiles Rellenos –Vegan
Allergens: For a Gluten Free version replace Flour tortillas for Rice Tortillas.
15 Anaheim Chiles – 1 good per filling
15 Flour Tortillas or Rice Tortillas
2 lbs for 15 – Medium Tofu- (Trader Joe’s with Pink label)
1 cup Nutritional Yeast
2 T Soy sauce (Taste for flavor and depth. Don’t want it to taste like soy sauce)
Pinch Granulated Garlic
Salt to taste
1. Clean Chiles. Slice open and clean out some of the inside seeds and veins depending on how spicy they are you can completely clean them out.
2. Roast the Chiles at 240C until they are blackish without burning them. Keep an eye on them.
3. Place them in a paper bag to sweat them so the skin comes off easy.
4. Peel the skins off
5. Warm each tortilla and make it pliable
6. Place tofu on a big bowl and hand mash it with a potato masher. Season the tofu with soy sauce, Nutritional Yeast, granulated garlic, olive oil and S+ P. It has to look like a ricotta cheese not too creamy. Set aside
7. Lay Chile pepper on the tortilla and top with tofu and roll it up tight like burrito and fry it like a Chimichanga until crispy.
8. Serve crispy and hot with Jen’s cucumber sauce and pico de gallo. Also good cold the next day.
Note: This recipe was created or adjusted by a friend of mine and she allowed me to use it and share it. Try it! Its delish!
I would like to come up with a proven GF version of it and avoid the frying to make it more healthy…but I don’t know how to get the crunchy result without frying it in step 7.
One thought on “Jen’s Tofu Chiles Rellenos –Vegan”